Friday, February 15, 2008

Another MEME

First order of business, I received this award the other day from klin. Thank you so much. It's so hard to pass these awards on--not because I want to keep them but because there are so many wonderful bloggers out there. I would like to pass it on to Jess--who just started her blog. Welcome to the blogging world, Jess.

And, recently I received this award from Amanda. I'd like to pass it on to nancyface--my great blogging friend.

The other day Holly did this little meme and it looked like fun so I thought--hey, why not???

How long have you been blogging? I started blogging in June of 2007.

What inspired you to start your blog, and who are your mentors? I've talked about this before--the main reason I started the blog was so family and friends could keep track of us when we travel. I never expected to be blogging when I'm home--It's taken on a life of itself. I also decided to post pictures for the family--and started way back in 1982. I wanted the kids and grandkids to go on a trip down memory lane. I got to about 1993, and then stopped. I need to get back to that.

Regarding the mentors--I learn from all of you out there. The first person who really helped me, though, had to be Gina--she gave me so many ideas. Also, Tori is a wealth of information.

Are you trying to make money online, or are you doing it just for fun? I do it just for fun, but making money online would certainly be a bonus.

What 3 things do you love about being online? 1) First and foremost would have to be the people I have met. There are some great people out there in the blogging world. They have offered support and encouragement. I appreciated and will never forget the kind words that were offered when we first discovered Allan's heart problem. 2) I've learned some great lessons from other people and I've been strengthened and uplifted by their stories. I've had so many good laughs, and at the same time have shed many tears as I've read wonderful faith-filled posts. 3) There are great craft ideas as well as great recipes.

Now, how can I not add that if I hadn't started blogging, I wouldn't know anything about The Twilight Series!!!

What 3 things do you struggle with online? 1) I think the first is probably something many of us struggle with--spending too much time online. I really need to limit my time, and I think I'm going to have to cut back to not getting on blogs every day. I think I'll start with cutting out Sunday and one other day. I'll still go and check the posts I've missed, but I just don't want to eventually have to quit. It's all about moderation, eh? 2) My site meter is fun, but with my control issues it's also my enemy. I see when people I know visit my blog and then when they don't comment, I always assume I wrote something wrong, or something stupid, or something they didn't like. (I'm working at this!!!) 3) Family who visit and rarely leave a comment--it would just be nice to hear their thoughts.

As far as tagging anyone--hey, if this looks like fun, give it a try.

Sidenote #1: Kyle is participating in a track meet tonight--so I guess date night will be spent at the University cheering him on. (Actually, he's jumping so there really is no cheering involved!!!)

Sidenote #2: Just two weeks until our cruise. I can't wait to be WARM again!!!

24 comments:

annie said...

Congrats on the awards Yvonne.
I'm glad you found the blog world and are such a big part of it! I wish I could convince others to blog! It's so much fun and I'm with you, the people you meet are so wonderful.

JustRandi said...

I love having you for a friend, Yvonne! I'm so glad I found you in the bloggy world!

I too am struggling with the time issue, and also the site meter issue. I like the idea of cutting a couple of days. I've also toyed with the idea of just turning the computer off after a certain time every day.
I'm still considering what to do...

Melissa said...

Great meme :) I love coming here and reading your blog... have fun at the track meet! And good luck Kyle!!

aurora said...

Congrats on the awards, you deserve them!

I love your blog. I loved this meme because it's neat to hear about why people blog.

Oh, and I am the same about my sitemeter-- I stopped checking it for the same reason. Kindred Spirits!

Magirk said...

Excellent post! Congratulations on your award.

I enjoyed reading this. I'm the same way - I worry that if people aren't commenting, I must've said something really goofy or stupid.

You're probably looking at the stats from MY visits and wondering why I don't comment so much. (HA, HA!) I'll tell you why. I don't usually sit down at the computer for more than 5 minutes or so, 10 or 15 if I'm lucky. So my time is like, a minute here, a minute there, sometimes I log on and check people's posts, but I don't have time to comment right then, so I come back later, hoping for more time to leave a comment, only to be thwarted by another toddler....

You see where I'm going with this? Sometimes, I have to scrap making comments altogether, when things get really wild around here. But I do read all your posts! And I think they're all awesome!!

That will be my standing comment for you, in case you don't see one from me on any of your posts: 'Great post, Yvonne! Loved it!' (hee, hee) :D

Sorry, this was really long.

Holly said...

Congratulations on the awards! Always well-deserved. Fun facts on the meme. I'm glad you picked it up.

Nancy Face said...

Thank you so much for sharing the Kindness award with me! :)

I started blogging just one month after you! I started because Lauren made me, haha! :D

How we ♥ Twilight!

Don't ever pay attention to the Sitemeter with me...I often stop by blogs when I just have a couple minutes, and sometimes I want to come back later to give a decent comment, rather than rushing it! :)

A nice warm cruise, woo hoo! :D

Lauren said...

Cute Meme!!! I think I did this meme a while back...I'm not sure? I have short term memory! haha
I hope you had a splendid Valentine's Day :)

Ashley said...

Yep, blogging is a world all on it's own. I usually only blog mon-thurs. My hubby doesn't work the other days and he always has us on the go. He does not like to be "stuck at home." I have enjoyed very minute spent online but I always have room for improvement.

Tonya said...

Well, whatever the reason, I'm really glad you joined the blogging world and it acutally looks like we joined at just about the same time. Great minds think alike :o)

I struggle with finding time to read all the great blogs that I want to as well. I just do the best I can.

mindyluwho said...

Nothing you say sounds stupid...I love your thoughts!

Happy Belated Valentines!

Tori :) said...

Congrats!!
Jealous of the cruise... totally. :)

smellychelli said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Yvonne. I'm glad you enjoyed my son's special story. (Woo hoo!! A new blogger friend!)

I like this meme and I like your answers. I have been accused many times by my 15 year old that I'm "obsessed with blogging," but this meme proves that there is a reason to the madness!

Oh, while my husband loved the people and the area where you live, he wasn't really fond of the winters. (But really, who looks forward to subzero temperatures, shoveling copious amounts of snow off driveways and treacherous driving on icy roads?)

Jess said...

Thanks so much for the award. You are awesome. I love reading your blog it always uplifts me. Have a great day!

Chel said...

You totally deserve the the awards! You are all about spreading the love and being kind-- not only in your posts, but your comments.

You're awesome!

Yvonne said...

annie: Thanks. I have enjoyed the whole blogging experience so much--and a lot of that has to do with great people like you.

justrandi: Thanks--you are such a fun friend. It's great to know I'm not alone with the site meter. I may take it off the computer.

melissa: Thanks--you know how much I love reading your blog.

By the way, Kyle placed 4th in the long jump and got a silver medal in the triple jump. He felt pretty good.

aurora: Thanks. I love reading about what got people started blogging, too.

Like I said, I might get rid of the site meter, but it is kind of fun when you find why people are reading the blog ; )

magirk: No, it's not the people who eventually comment--it's when someone reads it and then never comments, especially when it's family. I always worry that perhaps I've offended--that's my issue though.

Hey, you know I UNDERSTAND how busy you are. I just love that you take the time to read.

holly: Thanks, holly. I'm glad you had posted it.

nancyface: I'm so glad Lauren MADE YOU start your blog.

I don't worry with you. I think you know me pretty well and you could read through the lines if I said something stupid or something that didn't make sense. You would know what I was saying ; )

Yeah, I can't wait to be warm again ; )

lauren: I had a fabulous Valentine's Day--glad you did, too.

ashley: You are very smart to just blog Mon-Thursday. I enjoy the time I spend on line, too.

tonya: I didn't realize we started about the same time. How fun!!!

I love all of the blogs I read.

tori: Thanks. The cruise will be great fun ; ) No need to be jealous.

smellychelli: I loved the story.

Blogging is wonderful.

I always feel sorry for our new missionaries--especially in February. They usually comment that they thought they knew what cold was, until they got to Winnipeg!!!

mindylou: Thanks, you are so sweet. Hope you Valentines Day was a good one.

jess: You are very welcome. Thank you.

chel: You are so sweet. I love reading everyone's thoughts and it's fun to make comments .

Amber said...

So glad to have "met" you in cyberspace! It is amazing the friendships and connections we make through blogging!

Corrine said...

do you need anyone to carry your bags for you on your cruise? :)


Congrats on the awards and loved learning more about your blogging history.

As for time on the computer, I am totally stuck in that pit, and need to get out of it because I only have two more weeks before we list our house and it is so not ready!

Alice Wills Gold said...

And you have 18 comments already...wow. I only get those kind of comments once a year!

I am glad to have you as a blogging friend.

PJ said...

I've said it a million times, but I'm so glad I found your blog:)

A LOT of my family read mine too, and do not comment. They sometimes email me personally.

I'm the same with Twilight!

Oh, and sometimes I come to your blog(and others,too) and do not comment. It is almost always because I am whisked away by my kiddo's.

PJ said...

PS: Wa-hooooo, almost Cruise time!!

Yvonne said...

amber: You are so right--and I 'm so glad to have met you, too.

corrine: Ha, ha!!! Thanks.

Good luck getting everything ready for getting the house on the market

alice wills: I'm glad gina introduced me to your blog.

pj: The feeling is mutual ; )

I guess I just need to not worry about family members who don't comment--I'm trying ;

I don't worry about my regular blogging buddies.

Believe me I'm counting the day until the cruise ; )

Whitney said...

Two weeks until your cruise?! I'm so jealous!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

Thanks for the kudos, Yvonne! You are a special blog friend.

I am the same way with blogging... it's difficult to limit my time online. I need to take Sundays off too!