Friday, February 1, 2008

Getting to Know Me

When I first started blogging I didn't know I was supposed to wait to do my "100 Things About Me" until my 100th post--OOPS!!! So for my 150th post, I thought I'd do this little "Getting to Know Me" thing I saw on Macy's blog. No, this is not my 150th post-- I'm going to do a question thing for that post!!!!

1. What is your occupation? I was trained as a Secretary--my current occupation is Seminary Teacher, wife and mom. (Now, I'm not sure a wife is an occupation (it doesn't feel like a job), but it sure has lots of fringe benefits ; )

2. How many years at your current job? A wife for 25; a mom for 37 years, and I'm in my 3rd year as a Seminary Teacher.

3. What color are your socks right now? I don't have on socks. In fact, I very rarely wear socks or slippers.

4. What are you listening to right now?
Nothing--the house is as quiet as can be.

5. What was the last thing that you ate? Oatmeal

6. Can you drive a stick shift? Definitely!!! I owned a little yellow VW Bug (how I wish I still had that car today. I loved cruising around in that car--although whenever I came to an incline I wanted a big sign to flash in the back window that read "BACK OFF" so whoever was behind me wouldn't get right against my bumper ; )

7. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Probably blue.

8. How old are you today? 57

9. Favorite drink? Depends on what time of day (that sounds a little fishy doesn't it) I love water. The best drink I ever had was a Virgin Strawberry Daquiri at the Hyatt Regency in Maui (they put whipped cream in it--what could be better!!!)

10. What is your favorite sport to watch? I love watching football, but this time of year it would have to be College Basketball!!!

11. Have you ever dyed your hair? I had "virgin hair" until a couple of years ago--now I color and highlight it.

12. Pets? We've had hamsters and fish. Right now, none.

13. Favorite food?
As much as I love chocolate, I would have to say my favorite food is a nice piece of prime rib.

14. Last movie you watched? I watched Singles Ward 2 yesterday morning. I was pleasantly surprised!!!

15. Favorite Day of the Year? I love Christmas morning--I love to watch the kids get so excited, especially when there is something they weren't expecting ; )

16. What do you do to vent anger?
One of my biggest problems is I keep a lot of anger/frustration inside. Quite often you can see me driving in the car (alone) and it looks like I'm TALKING to someone. No, I'm alone, but I'm telling off whoever I'm irritated with.

17. What was your favorite toy as a child?
I loved pick-up-sticks and jacks.

18. What is your favorite, fall or spring? I was going to say it depends on where I live--I love the colors of fall. The spring is fabulous because there is something about seeing the newness of life everywhere.

19. Hugs or kisses?
That's a toughy--as much as I enjoy being hugged, there's almost nothing better than a kiss from my sweetie ; )

20. Cherry or Blueberry?
I love cherries--bing, marachino, and my favorite-- chocolate covered!!!

21. Living arrangements?
We have a beautiful two-story brick home.

22. When was the last time you cried? Last night while watching Lost--I'm a sap.

23. What is on the floor of your closet? Shoes--lots of shoes and carpet. Oh, and my hamper.

24. Favorite smell? I love the smell of roses or the smell of the flowers in Hawaii. If you're talking about the smells of food--chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.

25. What inspires you? I am inspired by many things. Allan inspires me in so many ways. He loves all of us and works so hard in all areas of his life. He amazes me. Then there are those who overcome and accomplish things that no one ever thought they could. My son, Stephen and his wife, Daphne, married when they were in high school (he was a Senior and she was a Junior). They have worked very hard together for these 20 years. They inspire me. So does my son, Brent. When he was diagnosed with a form of autism and we were told he was borderline mentally retarded and would graduate from high school with a 4th grade education, we had no idea what the future would hold. But through the years he has worked very hard, and he is currently in his first year in college. He is such an amazing young man and is truly an inspiration to me.

26. What are you afraid of? That's such an interesting question--I lack confidence, so I'd have to say, I'm afraid of failing or being laughed at. This is why the blogging thing is such a stretch for me, I worry that I will write something and people will think it's stupid. (Now, isn't that silly!!!)

27. Plain, cheese or spicy hamburgers?
It would have to be cheeseburgers.

28. Favorite car?
Convertible Mercedes

29. Number of keys on your key ring? 14

30. Favorite day of the week? I love Sundays

31. How many states have you lived in? 3 - California, North Carolina, Nevada; and I've lived in 2 provinces in Canada--Ontario and Manitoba.

32. How many countries have you been to? Allan and I tried to count one time. We've been very fortunate to be able to travel quite a bit. Keep in mind, I am 57 years old--for the first 31 years of my life--other than a trip to Florida to visit one of my sisters, I had NEVER left California.

Since I live in Canada, do I write that I've visited Canada, or that I've been to the U.S.??? Anyway, we've also visited Mexico, Russia, Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Norway, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Costa Rica, Panama, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, Iceland, Switzerland, (with all the "land's" I thought I'd add Disneyland ; ) Samoa, Fiji, Tahiti, Australia, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, and Colombia

This was a fun little exercise. I'm sure you now know more about me than you wanted to know!!!

22 comments:

Chel said...

That was so fun to read. Although I feel like I know you... I learn so much through each one of your posts!

That is so great you've been to so many countries. I hope to continue to add to my list throughout my life.

That was funny about telling someone off in your car. I can just imagine seeing you do that, but no one is there! :)

You are so cute!!

Melissa said...

Your travel log looks like so much fun!! Someday ;)
I love when you talk of your relationship with your husband. You guys seem to really have one of those amazing marriages!

Peter said...

I aggree with you, I love sunday's too. I enjoy my calling in Sunday School and can sit at my computer for an hour preparing. Unfortunally I do it at work and people talk, missionary moment!!
Also now that we start later in the day....I can sleep in!
My grandson loves going to church,and he has an awesome nursery teacher, Sister Mears.

Whitney said...

I'm so jealous of how many places you've traveled! That is something that I would LOVE to do!
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a lot of keys on my key ring. I have so many! I also have a lot of keychains, and people make fun of my gigantic ball of keys ha ha.
This was so fun to read, I love getting to know you more!!!

Lei said...

I love #16 - I have those conversations a lot too. It's a good way to get it all out. Only, when I pull up to a stoplight, I pretend that I am singing. Lol. And oh, the places you've travelled! How fortunate you are!

Magirk said...

I do #16 too. But I don't just talk, I gnash my teeth, and throw dirty looks at no one, and...

And when I was a child, I LOVED pick-up-sticks and jacks too!

It's funny that you say that now we probably know 'more than we wanted to know' about you. I always get to the end of these lists and think, "That's the end!? Rats." I always want to know more!! :)

Thanks for sharing.

Irritable Mother said...

I enjoyed reading all these things, too. But I must say my favorite was about Brent. What a remarkable young man. And truly an inspiration. I love it when someone ignores what the "experts" say and goes on to live life!

PJ said...

You are not wearing socks in Canada? I'm cold now:D

Mmmm..prime rib.

Singles ward 2 is on "very long wait" at Netflix right now.

This is fun, I may have to steal it from YOU sometime next week:)

Tori :) said...

I loved reading more about you Yvonne. Why do you have 1 keys on your keyring?

txmommy said...

wow! you have been a lot of places. That was a fun getting to know you :)

I'm so glad you and Allan are so happy together, it makes me smile every time I visit.

mindyluwho said...

Wow, you've been around the world, how exciting that must be!

I enjoyed reading this post and getting to know you better.

Jimmy said...

It's even more fun to read these things when they're really INTERESTING!

I liked getting to know a little more about you...that's what Blogging is for, right?

annie said...

I enjoyed reading more about you too! and found your son's life story to be very inspiring. I hope I can say I have traveled half as much as you when I am 57!

Yvonne said...

chel: I'm glad you weren't bored. We've been very fortunate to see many places.

Believe me it's much better that I vent in the car--I don't want to say something I'd regret later.

melissa: Our travels have been great.

I'm married to a pretty amazing man.

carolynne: I think it's much easier to love Sundays when you don't have to contend with little ones. I didn't know you're teaching Sunday School now.
Sis. Mears would be a great teacher.

whitney: Thanks, it's always fun to share. It's been great to see so many countries, but the U.S. is so beautiful and I really should have added that I don't think we've been to all 50 states which is something I'd like to do.

I really should get rid of some of my keys.

lei: LOL that you pretend to sing--the look on my face would probably be a dead give away!!!

magirk: Glad to know I'm not alone.

I don't think I could sit on the floor and play jacks today. And pick up sticks would be hard--I used to be pretty good.

Thanks for reading and for commenting.

irritable mother: Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yeah, Brent is a pretty remarkable young man.

pj: I should have said I don't wear socks IN THE HOUSE--I always have them on when I go outside!!!

You'll have to tell me what you think when you see Singles Ward 2.

When you do this meme it will be so fun to read.

tori: Thanks. I have several keys for the Church and cupboards at Church and then house keys for myself and friends.

txmommy: It was a fun meme today. We have been very blessed to see so much of the world.
Allan is a sweetie--for sure.

mindyluwho: It's been so fun to see so many places. Like I said those first 31 years I didn't travel anywhere, so it has been a great adventure.

Thanks.

jimmy: You're right--that is what blogging is all about. Thanks.

annie: Thanks. You have a long, long, long time to get to 57 ; )

aurora said...

That was such a treat to read! I love these things.

Okay, I was balling my eyes out watching LOST! Poor Charlie, poor, poor Claire-- I want them to live happily-ever-after. Man! Well on this crazy island, who knows what weird time-continuum could come into play as the seasons roll by.

I hope that you don't mind, but I added you to my sidebar :)

Lauren said...

That favorite drink question was a little shady. Are sure that Daquiri was virgin? I know about about you Yvonne...you seem like you throw a lot of parties. I bet they get pretty wild.

Tonya said...

I love it when you post things like this so I can get to know you even better. Very fun. I'm not surprised that hubby was the one to inspire. Your relationship with him is so sweet :)

Jess said...

Hey Sis. R.,
So Theresa got me started on this blog thing and she tells me you are a huge blogger so I added you. I loved learning all about you. Very fun.
Jessica

Yvonne said...

aurora: Thanks. It was a fun Meme.

Like I said on your blog--glad I wasn't alone ; )

Of course, I don't mind that you added me on your sidebar--thanks.

lauren: ha, ha--you certainly know me!!! Our parties are REALLY WILD and everyone knows they go always end before 9:00.

tonya: It was a fun meme--you should do it. Then we can all get to know you better ; )

Allan is a real sweetie.

jess: Welcome to the blogging world.

Corrine said...

that was fun to read! you have been all over! how fun! i look forward to the day when a vacation isn't visiting family, not that I don't enjoy visiting them, but you know!

Nancy Face said...

My 100th post will come up this week, but I will be my rebellious little self and just ignore the "rules!" ;)

I've been a hair stylist for over 27 years! :0

I still can't drive a stick shift to save my life...yep, dumber than a box of rocks.

My very favorite drink is a virgin strawberry daiquiri...with whipped cream! YUM! :D

I got my first grey hair at age 25...I've been coloring and highlighting for a VERRRY long time!

I'm a bird and fish person. Our attempt at a hamster ended in tragedy.

I am so amazed at your travel record! This was so much fun! :)

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I love it when you fill these sorts of things out, Yvonne! It's so fun to get to know you better! I just admire you so much!

I am a worrier like you about saying the wrong thing and hoping I don't offend anyone. It's so hard sometimes to blog about whatever when that subject matter might hit a nerve in one of my readers. You just never know.