Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tag

My txmommy tagged me for this little meme:

A- Attached or single: Attached
B- Best Friends: Allan--followed by Priscilla, Pat, and Mary
C- Cake or Pie: Definitely cake
D- Day of Choice: I love Sundays--as I've said before, I don't have little ones to deal with at Church and I just enjoy the day
E- Essential Item: Camera
F- Favorite Color: Red or blue
G- Gummi Bears or Worms: Definitely gummi bears
H- Hometown: I lived for many years in Hayward, CA, but really grew up in San Lorenzo, CA
I- Indulgence(s): Chocolate, and I'm not picky--any kind of chocolate
J- January or July: My birthday is in January, but I love the summer
K- Kids: 4 boys and 1 daughter and 2 stepdaughters
L- Life is incomplete without: I would write this exactly like Txmommy--my family and the Gospel of Jesus Christ
M- Marriage Date: October 23, 1982
N- Number of Siblings: 5 sisters
O- Oranges or Apples: I love oranges
P- Phobias or Fears: I'm somewhat claustrophobic
Q- Quote: I love quotes and have them all over my office. I like this one: "It's only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis." Margaret Bonnano
R- Reason To Smile: There are so many
S- Season: I love the colors of Fall, but the newness of Spring
T- Tag Six: I would just like to tag whoever would like to do this
U- Unknown Fact About Me: I really can't think of anything I haven't already shared--except I can drive a forklift (well, I used to be able to, not sure I could do it today ; )
V- Vegetarian or Oppressor of Animal: Goodness I could never be a vegetarian--I love my meat!!!
W- Worst Habit: When there is chocolate around I think it calls to me to eat until it's gone
X- X-Rays or Ultrasounds: Ultrasounds, especially now that you don't have to drink all that water
Y- Your Favorite Food: Prime rib
Z- Zippers or Zebras: zippers--couldn't live without them, but then again I love those horses with striped pajamas

Sidenote #1: Kyle, who felt much better yesterday morning, had a concert band performance at our Convention Center last night. They played very well. In fact, they apparently have received an invitation to Music Fest Canada for the National Band Competition. (Not exactly sure what that means, but will let you know when I find out ; )

Sidenote #2: Today in Seminary as we finished up studying David, we read the parable Nathan related to David about the rich man and the poor man. When Nathan finished the parable, David was so outraged and said, "As the Lord liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die..." Then Nathan responded with "Thou art the man". I was reminded of times we sit in Church and hear a great talk and think, "Too bad Brother So and So or Sister So and So didn't hear that talk--THEY COULD REALLY USE IT." In reality, the talk was for us. It was a great reminder for me--maybe I'm the only one who does that ; ) One of the things I love about reading the scriptures is the lessons I get personally--doesn't always apply to everyone else, but I am striving to learn what is there for me.

25 comments:

JustRandi said...

I love sidenote #2. I think you're so right. Interesting connection with David. I'd never put those together before.

Melissa said...

I agree with Randi - love sidenote #2... there is a VeggieTales about that story... and it's a fantastic lesson that we all need to learn. Great insight!

Whitney said...

This was fun! I'm with you on the chocolate...I told my husband and his friend the other day that I think chocolate just tastes better to women, why else can we not live without it?!

Lippy said...

I really like reading these kinds of entries because they let us get to know people a little better each time.
I'm so with you on the Prime Rib. I don't know if there's anything better. And that means no vegetarianism for me either!

txmommy said...

i didn't realize you were a ca girl too!

Ashley said...

I think I will do this I am in a blogin funk.

I agree with your points about David. I usually think my sister, or friend could use this talk. I know most of the time it is something I need to hear.

Magirk said...

Fun list! :) I just love reading things about you.

I know what you mean about thinking the lessons are for others we know. But lately, especially in the last few years, I've sat through most of my lessons and known they were meant specifically for me (like the broadcast last week!). I must have so much to learn!!!

Truly, I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has been able to touch my heart so much these last few years. I've felt so empty much of the time, with all the struggles I've been through.

But it is so comforting to know that He has been able to fill my soul again by using the Spirit to convey the message to me through each lesson, regardless of the teacher or topic. That's what makes it feel like it's tailored just for me. :)

PJ said...

That was a fun list.

Glad Kyle is feeling better!

I like your insight on David. The best time to be SELFISH is while reading the scriptures and listening to a spirit guided talk! Did that make sense? Well, it did in my mind:D

Yvonne said...

justrandi: Thanks.

melissa: I've not seen that Veggietale--I'll have to find it. Thanks.

whitney: you're right--must be a hormonal thing.

lippy: I like these meme's, too. Could never imagine being a vegetarian!!! (Not that there's anything wrong with it ; )

tx: I never thought I'd ever leave California ; )

ashley: I loved how that you did the meme. Yours was so fun.

I have lots to learn.

magirk: It was a fun one to do.

I know I have a lot to learn--it's a slow process.
I, too, am incredibly grateful for the Spirit. It truly is the teacher.

Thanks for your beautiful comments.

pj: Thanks. I'm glad, too. I hope everyone is getting better at your house.

That makes total sense to me!!! We need that time for US--but in the end it blesses those around us, as well.

Chel said...

cute meme and fun to read! I always love getting to know you even better!

annie said...

Love your answers Yvonne!
Glad Kyle is better too!

Yvonne said...

chel: It was a fun meme to do, thanks.

annie: Thanks annie.

I'm glad he's doing better, too.

Tonya said...

That was way fun! I love getting to know you better.

I'm glad to hear that Kyle is feeling better.

Nancy Face said...

You can drive a forklift? That's AMAZING! :0

This was so fun to read...I enjoyed your answers! :)

Hooray for Kyle and the band! I'm glad he's feeling better! :D

aurora said...

Fun to read; it's nice getting to know you better.

Love your comments in sidenote #2. I feel the same about it. Church is so much better when you realize that it is all for you.

Josi said...

Very cool Nathan/David connection. It's so me.

Loved the meme--though Pie wins every time, sorry :-)

Sheri said...

Great insight and fun to get to know you!!

Yvonne said...

tonya: pretty soon you'll know more about me than perhaps my family!!!

Thanks.

nancyface: I haven't driven a forklift for years, but I did know how at one time ; )

I think the band felt pretty good about their performance.

aurora: Thanks.

Yes, we just need to listen for the messages--sometimes it's hard.

josi: Thanks for visiting.

I have so much to learn so each time I can apply something to myself I'm happy.

I'll go for chocolate or lemon meringue ; )

sheri: Thanks, Sheri.

Heidi said...

Ha. I loved your last comment--my HUSBAND (who should know everything about me, right?) sometimes reads my posts and is like, "Hey, I didn't know that!"

Sometimes I reveal more of my embarrassment to perfect strangers than to family. It's easier that way.

mindyluwho said...

This is a fun meme to see going around. Love getting to know you better!

Great insight on the David story. I hadn't thought of it that way!

utmommy said...

I've got the same worst habit as you.

Fun post!

yonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvonne said...

heidi: I think sometimes our family watches us but doesn't always know why we do the things we do, and when we write about them it may give clearer understanding. (Not sure if that makes sense)

mindylou: It is a fun meme that lots of people are doing.

It's amazing how each of us can learn something different after reading the same story Also we learn different things when we read based on what's happening at the time--which is why I think we are to read again and again.

utmommy: Always nice to know we are not alone ; )

Thanks--it was fun.

Cynthia said...

I randomly ran across your blog . . . I love your seminary comments. I am teaching seminary also and sometimes I hope the students learn just a portion of what I am learning. The story of Goliath lend itself to a great class activity. I wrote a huge blog about our fun day. Preparing a daily lesson makes me realize what daily scripture study should be like and what I've missing out on in past years. Keep up the good work.

Lauren said...

Cute meme! I think I have done this one before. I am a meat oppressor too! :)

...and chocolate is mammon; it is always tempting me.