Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gratitude for Food and Shelter

I remember when I lived in California and it would get cold--or what I knew then as "cold". I now have a much different definition of cold. I'm grateful each and every day that I have a home, that along with everything else, shelters me from the cold. Everywhere I look in our home there are so many memories--memories that warm my heart. I am also grateful that I can go to my cupboard or refrigerator and get something when I'm hungry. I'm also blessed to have running water.

All of this may sound very simple, but I consider it a great blessing.

In 1982 when I married Allan my life changed in many ways. I was a single mom on a very limited budget. (In fact, the other day I received a note from Social Security (goodness am I really getting that old ; ) giving my earnings in those years when Stephen was a child. To say that we were below the poverty level would be an understatement.) I didn't have a car for a long time--and when I bought my first car bought something I couldn't afford and had a repossession. I learned some valuable things about credit/debt during those years. Through it all I learned how to make a dollar stretch.

As I watch the economy right now, I'm grateful for all the experiences I have had. In June when Allan came home and told me about his sudden retirement, the trips to the store slowed way down. We are watching our pennies right now. With the situation with the economy, it can feel scary. I am grateful to know that we are prepared in many ways. I am also very grateful for the counsel of our Church leaders and pray that I will always listen.

Each and every day I am grateful for all that we have.

Sidenote: I'm sad to report that we lost the scripture mastery challenge. Sad, but maybe they'll be more motivated in the Spring. I was very proud of their effort.





12 comments:

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

I am grateful for all the ♥ and time you put into this blog :) Thanks for sharing!

Chel said...

Yvonne, you are amazing me with all of your grateful posts.
I sort of "gave-up." It was either that or copy and paste your posts onto my blog. :)
I too, am so very grateful for a comfortable, warm house stocked with food.
How blessed we are.

Nancy Face said...

Great post, Yvonne! :)

I'm grateful I grew up in a home with very little money and with hard working parents who taught me to be frugal...such valuable lessons.

I'm sure your students will win in the spring! :)

aurora said...

I am especially grateful for running water after camping! Seriously, though, it is the most simple things that have such a great impact on our lives, and thank you for helping us to be more grateful. {hugs}

Grandma A said...

I am thankful for you and your great gratitude posts. I too am grateful for having had a warm, comfortable home and not to be sharing my kids warm, comfortable homes.:)
Love n' hugs.

Grandma A said...

I meant now to be sharing. Got distracted and pushed wrong key.

Crazy Mom of Four said...

sorry about the scripture mastery.

While Eric and I have been "traveling" we left all our stuff in texas and I think why did I ever think I "needed" all that stuff...life lessons are amazing.

I am too grateful for food and shelter and right now left over hidden halloween candy. (oh did you want a comment from me or a post :))

PJ said...

Thanks for the reminder~I'm am grateful for my little house:)

Yvonne said...

trying to stay calm: Thank you and thanks for stopping by.

chel: Thanks. We are blessed, aren't we. I have enjoyed all that you have posted about.

nancyface: Thanks. Those lessons are worth everything, eh? I bet your parents are amazing.

aurora: Isn't it funny how little things we take so for granted, and then when we don't have them we forget how blessed we have been.

Thanks.

grandma a: Thank you so much. I'm glad you are there surrounded by a loving family. Hugs.

crazymom: I know they are motivated now.

Some of that "stuff" is important.

Leftover Halloween candy--are you kidding--it's November 16th ; )

pj: It's wonderful to have a home to share with those we love.

annie said...

Food and shelter are huge blessings!!!

Chelli said...

Even though I'm not fond of my house and I would LOVE to have a new one, I am grateful for it and grateful that we can live here. I always try to recognize how different life could be for us and try to tell my children (who want a new house too) that all things happen in due time... especially in today's economy.

Magirk said...

I've been feeling especially uptight about this whole economy stuff. We've been trying to make those 'last minute' arrangements and get our storage and preparations shored up and as complete as we can get them.

We've just had these nagging feelings for a few months now that we need to get our house in order and do what we can.

Sometimes I'm frightened by all that's going on these days, especially the backlash towards the LDS church from the Prop 8 in California. We have family in California who are feeling some of the 'effects' of that, and we are worried for them.

But I also find strength in my knowledge of why this is all happening, and the promise of what is to come. Disconcerting on the one hand, but exciting and looking forward to it on the other, you know?