Saturday, December 27, 2008

Where Has The Week Gone?

Goodness, has it been a week already???? We arrived here in Utah last Saturday afternoon and the time has just flown by. Let me just post about some of what we have done--

Saturday--was pretty much a Let's Get Settled In Day for me and a Show Me the Quickest Way to the Bed for Allan. I felt so sorry for him getting sick, but I was so happy it was only a 24 hour bug. (Just wish he hadn't been so generous and had kept it to himself instead of sharing it with me ; (

Sunday--It was wonderful to have Church late in the afternoon. Loved being able to sit in Relief Society with Heidi. It's been a long time. Had a lovely meal on Sunday night with the whole family. I did a fair amount of wrapping.















Monday--Allan and I were out bright and early trying to finish up the shopping. It snowed like crazy--it was beautiful because it's such different snow. Our snow is so light, but this was big wet flakes. (Glad I didn't have to do any driving ; )

After dinner, Allan, Bev, Heidi, and one of her friends, and Brent started watching Ironman. I decided to go and wrap some presents--didn't feel great. And that night the flu hit--and it HIT HARD. Spent every hour worshipping the porcelain bowl.

Tuesday--pretty much a I'm not leaving the bed day. Finally about 7:00 pm I started to feel a little better. Kyle was scheduled to leave Winnipeg at 2:00 and Cory got him to the airport and ready to go through customs at 12:30. (Later when he called he told Allan he didn't leave until 3:00 (which made us very concerned about him making his connection in Denver) I was grateful that I had a phone number for a friend in Denver (thanks, friend) who was my back-up so I wouldn't have to worry about Kyle being alone in Denver ; ) He had about 5 minutes to run to his plane and make his connection, but then sat on the tarmack for about 45 minutes. (Kyle just LOVES TO FLY!!!)

Because we were going to Macy's parents' house for Christmas Eve we had arranged to do our traditional Christmas Eve meal on Tuesday night. I had previously agreed to make Autumn Soup, but Allan had to make it.

Wednesday--I was so grateful when I woke up that I felt pretty good. Wendy and Tony were arriving around 10, so Allan and I drove to the airport. We expected the airport to be pretty busy, but it wasn't too bad.






















We were supposed to pick up Neal at noon, but unfortunately he didn't make his connection, so he wasn't going to be arriving until around 4:30. So off to Hires for lunch. Met up with Riley and Gabrielle who were picking up their gifts which we brought from Riley's folks in Winnipeg.

















Heidi had left for Idaho and so she wasn't with us for Christmas Eve. Wendy and Tony had taken the van to the airport to pick up Macy and Garrett and Neal who were on separate flights. We headed to Macy's parents for a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner and a fun Nativity presentation. Had some crazy wisemen ; )















Thursday--Christmas Day. As always, Santa was good to everyone. The morning was a lot of fun watching everyone open their gifts. Santa has always tried to disguise gifts by using different boxes (especially for DVD's and CD's--we use cereal boxes, rice krispie treat boxes (anything we can find). Well when Kyle went to open his camera, he just assumed it was the box and started tearing into it and I'm like "No, don't rip the box!!!"

After opening gifts it was time to have the strawberry waffles and bacon. As good as ever.


















Kyle went out to shovel. We were laughing because he was out there in his shorts and a hoodie. He had commented that this is more like Winnipeg in April (certainly not December).















We had a great Christmas dinner with all the fixings. Way too much food--but then again, what else is new ; ) We had quite a group here at my SIL's, including my DIL's family and Allan's other sister's family. Unfortunately, Heidi didn't get back from Idaho until about 7:00 that night--by the time she got here she was pretty tense. The roads had not been fun, but we were very happy when she finally arrived.

















Heidi opened her gifts after everyone left. We then put on our pajamas for the traditional picture.














Friday--I needed a little time to clean up my room and get laundry done. Allan, Bev, and his mom went to the temple and the kids went to the mall. Unfortunately, when Wendy returned home after lunch she had the flu. I feel so bad and am afraid that everyone is going to end up with this flu. We are trying very hard to disinfect everything.

It has been wonderful to have the kids here, but it sure would have been better if everyone could have been here. We at least talked to everyone on the phone. I know Stephen and Daphne were having a great Christmas with their kids. Sure wish they could have joined us for Christmas, but it just wasn't going to work out. It's always so much fun when we are all together. It didn't feel right to not have Nancy here, either. Then again, this was her first Christmas with her new grandbaby--he would have been hard to leave behind ; ) She's always so much fun. Just one Christmas we'll all have to be together.

Can't wait for Monday when Chris, Heather and Amanda arrive.


21 comments:

chellie said...

Oh my goodness! How do you keep up with it all. You are SuperWoman!

I'm so sorry about the flu bug that hit a couple of you. Such a bummer! But I am glad it didn't last too long.

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas. It's always nice to be surrounded by loved ones, isn't it?

I laughed at Kyle shoveling the snow because when we have friends/family from Utah come here during the wintertime they wear shorts and t-shirts and I'm in jeans and hoodie and complain because it's SO cold!

I love the Christmas jammie picture. Too cute!

Can't wait to hear more. love ya!

Klin said...

We had that yucky flu at the beginning of December. Ugh.

I'm laughing at Kyle. I'm guessing it is warmer here than what you all are used to in Winnipeg. I wonder how many people drove by thinking he was crazy? That happened to us one Christmas when we went to San Diego. We wore shorts/capris and short sleeved shirts. They thought we were crazy. It was 61 degrees. Which was warm compared to Utah's then 35 degrees.

Glad you are feeling better.

Happy New Year!

Tonya said...

Wow, I can see why the week just flew by. You were one busy lady.

What a bummer that you both got sick but it is good that it was a quick one.

We also have strawberry waffles on Christmas morning.

I'm glad you had a wonderful time and the family picture turned out great!!

Neal said...

It's SO GREAT to be here with you guys!!! Yipee!!

Chelli said...

You spent a lot of time driving back and forth to the airport. I wonder if they have a special parking spot reserved just for you now? :D

I'm glad you are over your flu. Mine lasted about week.

I have decided (and my hubby agrees) that he and I are going to start doing the Christmas Eve jammies too! You have inspired a new tradition in our family! Thanks!!

JustRandi said...

Anytime, friend!
I'm so glad you're having a nice time with your family!
And I would LOVE your recipe for Autumn Soup and Strawberry waffles!!

Corrine said...

wow what a week, and very impressed how well you remember what you did, do you write things down before you blog??

sorry you were ill that is no fun.

aubrey said...

mm, all this talk of food is making my stomach growl!

i am so so sorry that you got sick. that stinks so bad. but i'm glad you got feeling better and had a nice Christmas..i love that big family picture..so great!

PJ said...

Sounds like a very Merry week, besides the flu.

Fun picture!

Heffalump said...

We had the flu last Christmas. D's Dad took us to Disneyland the day after Christmas and most of our extended family members ended up with it sometime during our trip. My Dad drove us to the aiport and he ended up with the flu as well, so we shared it with everyone!
Glad you got over it quickly anyway.

sweetpea said...

I'm so sorry you were sick, but glad it as gone by Christmas Day so you could really enjoy your family. It all sounds wonderful!

annie said...

Oh no! Sorry you guys were sick!

Sounds like it was a fun week other than being sick!

Suzanne said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! That's too bad about the flu though. What a great shot of so many people together! I'm glad you were surrounded by family for the holidays! :)

♥ Somebody Loved ♥ said...

The busier you are the faster time speds by. Sounds fun though... except for the sick part. No one likes to be sick or have a loved one sick... esp. at the holidays.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Natalie said...

What a beautiful family. I'm glad you had such a nice time. So sorry about the flu. That is just not fun at all.
Kyle reminded me of some of my kids. They go out in the snow like that and UtMommy's kids will go out barefoot.:)
Love n' hugs.

Lauren said...

Wow! So busy!! I am glad you got to be with your family and do fun things.

I LOLed at Kyle's comment about the weather. And that he is wearing shorts! Oh my.

I am sorry about the flu. I got it too, but fortunately I never actually threw up...just a lot of moaning and thrashing about.

Nancy Face said...

I just love the jammie picture! :D

I am SOOO sorry you were sick...that is so awful. :(

Other than the sad sickies, this was a great post! I enjoyed all the pictures, too...especially of Kyle shoveling snow in shorts! :D

I do the same thing with food boxes to disguise gifts! ;)

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry you guys have had the flu :( Not fun... hopefully everyone is doing better now!

Sounds like you had a really great Christmas even with the sickness.

Amanda said...

Will you adopt me? I just love reading about your family and seeing all the fun pictures (love the pajama picture!). Seriously you have such a great family and you all look so happy. Glad to hear that you've been able to enjoy some time together for the holidays. Sorry about the flu. That is a bummer!

Hurray for Hires!! Love that place!

My kids have been playing outside in short sleeve shirts (until mom finds out and I make them get a coat) because it is "only" in the 30's now. Much warmer then it was a few days ago! Hahaha

As far as the Utah snow, I was seriously surprised when we moved to South Dakota and snowflakes actually look like snowflakes here instead of wet globs of white stuff falling from the sky. I think my husband thought I was crazy when I was so mesmorized by the first snow I saw here.

Sheri said...

I am sorry to hear you were sick! I loved the snow last Monday... I was working, so I was able to watch it fall from inside a warm building... but it was beautiful! Looks life you had a fabulous Christmas and may I wish you a very happy New Year!

Jodi said...

Oh I am so sorry you had the flu too! And NOT to be in your own bed must have made it even worse!

It looks like you had a great Christmas other than that though! Thanks so much for your comments even though I have been a serious slacker. You always amaze me!♥