Monday, January 3, 2011

Trip to Utah

Before I get started, let me just say I'M SO EXCITED BECAUSE TODAY MY NEWEST GRANDDAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE BORN. I guess that means I better get busy finishing up the blanket ; )

It was a great trip to Utah--although those first few days leading up to Christmas were spent shopping and wrapping. I'm grateful for my trusty little notebook where i had notes and tabs and lists and more lists. Allan was a real trooper. Of course, he is used to shopping on Christmas Eve--that's when he does most of my shopping. I DON'T NORMALLY DO THAT, SO IT WAS DIFFICULT FOR ME.

I was grateful when it was time to put the jammies on and read Luke 2 and enjoy a lovely Christmas Eve. Brent had come over to spend the night with us at my SIL's. Heidi and Daniel were in Idaho with Daniel's family. Santa delivered new pajamas for us--I know Allan was so incredibly disappointed that I had forgotten our nightshirts--HE SO LOVED THEM.

Christmas morning was as fun as usual. Quiet, but still fun. Brent had a great time opening his gifts or should we say movies--that's usually the majority of his gifts. Neal had found this great external microphone for a videocamera and i ordered it for Brent. I was so excited for him to open it--I JUST KNEW HE WAS GOING TO LOVE IT, and he did. But, sadly, his camera doesn't have a connection for it, so we had to send it back ; (

We had our traditional strawberry waffles and thick bacon breakfast. It was as yummy as ever.

And then we waited--waited until it was time for the best gift of the day OUR PHONE CALL FROM OUR ELDER.

Heidi and Daniel arrived a few minutes before the call. I am happy to report I didn't cry when I heard his voice. He sounded FANTASTIC. I could see the smile on his face as we visited. We had him on speaker phone for awhile,but he was having a tough time hearing, so that didn't last long. He talked to everyone for a few minutes. Then I got on--I laughed when he admitted "I opened the presents a couple of days before Christmas" ; ) He loved everything. I was worried about a couple of things. I always wrap things in boxes--not necessarily gift boxes, I use whatever I have around. He had asked for stamps, so I bought a roll of U.S. stamps and wrapped them in a Crystal Light box. He opened it and thought it was Crystal Light--thank goodness he opened it ; ) He loved the calendar. I was so happy. He had sent us a gift and it was fun to have him explain how he got it. I just assumed he bought it, but he explained that he and his companion had seen them and ended up going to a Relief Society Super Saturday to make them. Allan and I LOVE IT.I love getting my e-mails every week, but it was so wonderful to hear his voice and have him share the stories and his testimony. I loved watching Allan talk to him--there's something so wonderful there. We can't wait for Mother's Day.

It was so cute because when I hung up, I stood there for a minute and the phone rang again. I looked down and it said, "LDS Mission". I picked the phone up and it was him, "Mom, what day do you leave?" I told him we were leaving on Saturday and he asked, "What time will you be driving through Blackfoot?" I said, "Elder, we are not driving home--we are flying home." He explained that they had a baptism ad would be going to Blackfoot and he wanted to be sure we wouldn't accidentally pass him up on the road ; )

Somehow dinner tasted better--everything was better. After dinner, Heidi and Daniel opened their gifts. They were so cute and appreciative of everything. Heidi loved her Zebra blanket.

The next few days were spent eating too much, going to movies (we saw Tangled and True Grit (I would recommend both), eating more, visiting the lights on Temple square, hooking up with friends, going to the temple, and eating some more. Allan and I both felt like we were dragging most of the time. I guess we hate to admit it, but we are not as young as we used to be ; )

I do want to write about having the chance to visit with a couple of blogging friends. A couple of years ago I visited on the phone with Natalie before she and her husband left for their mission. I read her blog the two years she was gone and so enjoyed reading all about their experiences. So on Tuesday I finally had a chance to have lunch with her and Connie. I think it's been a little over a year since I started reading Connie's blog--and the funny thing is she works at the same school as Heidi. I did meet her last month, but didn't have too much time to visit, so it was so fun to have lunch with these two ladies. They are amazing woman and it felt like we knew one another FOREVER.

I also had a great lunch with another blogging friend--we always laugh and have the best time together. This visit was no exception. She brought her children and they were so cute--LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF OUR VISIT.

On Thursday we headed for Idaho to go to Heidi's reception. It started snowing BIG TIME on Wednesday night, and by the time we headed out the roads were UGLY. The drive was not fun. We were able to stop in Idaho Falls and meet with Elder Rob's MP. We just wanted him to know how much we appreciated his hard work.

We got to the Boise area and checked into our hotel and got ready to go to the reception. The F Family have a beautiful home. The evening was fairly casual and quite lovely. We enjoyed so much visiting with everyone.

Before we headed back for Utah we went to the Boise Temple. Neal and Macy had given me a "Temple Passport" where I can put in stickers when I visit a temple--now I can add Boise ; )

When we got back into town, I called a friend who had called when we were on the road to Idaho. Bill and Nancy were friends in Charlotte. It had been awhile since we visited, so they came by the house and we visited for a couple of hours. We laughed and laughed. I realized right after they left that I forgot to take a picture ; (

Up bright and early on Saturday morning and off to the airport. Fairly uneventful flights--no major delays. But, I still don't understand how you can check 5 bags and get on the plane and arrive at your destination with only 4. (Can I just say I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay for any of them or I would have been VERY ANGRY.) My bag was delivered yesterday--about 24 hours after we got home.

Glad to be home for a couple of weeks. I am so looking forward to Heidi and Daniel's visit for the reception here on the 15th. I hope we can keep them warm ; )

On the 17th, I head out to Texas to meet my new little granddaughter.


Neal said...

Man, I'm exhausted just reading about everything you guys did. I don't think that you're slowing guys do SO much while you're visiting Utah ; ) Can't wait to see you down here!!!!!

ShEiLa said...

No wonder I hadn't seen a post from you since Christmas Eve... you have been most busy and enjoying family and friends. Good for you!!! I am so glad that your Elder sounded so good. Have a wonderful day!


Natalie said...

Wow, you did have a busy trip.

Thanks so much for taking the time to meet with me and Connie. I loved meeting you. You are awesome and just as wonderful as I imagined you to be. It was great fun to spend some time with you.


Lana said...

your life is such a whirlwind of trips!
How fun!!

My mom said she had a wonderful time meeting you too :)

mindyluwho said...

Where did you get the Zebra blanket? I looked and looked for one for my daughter!

mindyluwho said...

Happy New Year, you world traveler, you!

Sheri said...

Sounds like a fabulous time!!

Connie said...

With all you had to do while in Utah, I am honored that you took the time to have lunch with us! So much fun!

So glad the reception went well in Idaho.

Love your pajamas! Brent's a cutie. You know I have a 24 year old single daughter! She's a cutie too!

Let us know about your newest granddaughter! Exciting!

Heffalump said...

I don't have that many adventures in a YEAR!

Amber said...

Hooray and congratulations on the newest grandbaby!

So sad I missed you when you visited but maybe one day we'll meet up!!

kierste @ brown paper packages said...

You made me tired, too!

What a wonderful Christmas adventure! I'm so glad you had such a great time talking to your of the best parts of the season, I'm sure!

Valerie said...

Wow! A whirlwind of a vacation. But it all sounds good!

That's so sweet that Elder Rob was afraid of passing you on the freeway! And even more awesome that they had a baptism!! Yippee!!

Nancy Face said...

Love this post!

How exciting about a sweet new granddaughter! Traveling to see her will be a great birthday present for you! YAY!

Eeek! Last minute shopping is stressful!

We love reading Luke 2 on Christmas Eve...and I ALWAYS love being in jammies!

Hooray for your phone call! Do you know how much I love the fact that Elder Rob made your gift at Relief Society! AWESOME!

I absolutely LOVED Tangled, but when my boys went to see true Grit, I didn't feel like going. I guess I'll just wait for the DVD to come out!

Do you have any idea where I could get one of those "Temple Passports"? That sounds like so much fun to have!

Super Happy Girl said...

" I am happy to report I didn't cry when I heard his voice..." Oh wow, I got teary eyed! :)

Congratulations on your newest grandbaby.
There I go again.

Oh man, I am just a mess today :'D