Thursday, March 14, 2013


Last Wednesday night, I ended up in the emergency room and finally got released yesterday afternoon, and let me say THERE TRULY IS, NO PLACE LIKE HOME (but it isn't the same when you're all alone ; (

It was a long, hard (harder than I could imagine) seven days.  I am just so grateful to have it all resolved.  I won't go into a lot of boring (and painful to relive) details, but let me "highlight" a few:

  • Going into the emergency room there were only 2 people ahead of me--do you have any idea how often that happens--can we say NEVER!!!!!
  • When the nurse at the ER asked me if I had been nauseated, I replied, "No", but asked for a pan, just in case, and within minutes was continually filling it.  
  • Finally was admitted and immediately enjoyed my first and hopefully last ever N/G tube.  Unfortunately the tests they wanted to perform was done at another hospital so although my chart  was faxed over on Friday, I was not to be transported until the following Monday.  An N/G tube does not mean you will not throw up and is ten times harder with the tube in your nose.
  • My first introduction to heparin shots--had no idea how painful they are and the way they bruise. Three a day gave me this--by the way, it is my arm ; )

  • As soon as I had my test that revealed blockage in my duct filled with sludge and gallstones and whatever else and that was zapped, I felt so, so, so much better.  But just to be sure they ran another test the following day and all was good.
I do have to say when people compare gallstone/gallbladder pain to childbirth--for me, no comparison.  Pregnancy not easy, CHILDBIRTH A BREEZE!!!!  

Let me share something I learned while I was in the hospital:

I shared a room with the sweetest 86 year old woman.  For the first few days we didn't talk--I couldn't talk to anyone.  Poor Allan would come and visit and I would send him home--the tube made it too hard to talk.  I had him bring our Scrabble game, but never felt up to playing (after the tube was taken out I played (alone) and didn't cheat ; )  I ended up using all my tiles on the word ACTUALLY ; )  Even though she and I didn't talk, I enjoyed listening to her and her 95 year old husband visit.  He would come every day about 10 in the morning and stay until about 5 and sit there and hold her hand and tell her how beautiful she was!!!  They were so sweet and patient and loving with one another.  

When I started feeling better my roommate and I started talking.  She was a delightful woman who was from England and she and her husband met there while he was serving with the Canadian forces.  They  were just so sweet.  Such incredible stories they shared and such incredible love between the two of them.  It was wonderful.  

Funny thing was, the night before I came home one of my friends came to visit and while we were visiting, she mentioned a new job she had and so I asked if she knew my roommate who was from her town.  She asked her name and when I told her, my friend jumped up called out the woman's name and the two of them visited.  

Again, it's great to be home and I can't wait for late tonight when my sweet husband returns home.  I know how worried he was, and how bad he felt that I had to go through this.

I appreciate so much the love and the support of my kids.  I missed talking to them while I was in the hospital--I just couldn't deal with my cell phone, and I didn't want to talk on the phone in the hospital.    It's been great talking to 4 of them yesterday and today--I know they were worried.  I had to laugh when I talked to Kyle.  I have been bugging him about something for quite awhile so the first thing I asked him was, "I bet you enjoyed your week's vacation without me bugging you?"  HE LAUGHED ; )

Sidenote #1:   Less than 3 months until my half-marathon with Heidi and Brent.  Not ready AT ALL.  Hoping to get back into a regular routine next month.

Sidenote #2:  My grandson B's papers are in and we are waiting for his call.  I can't tell you how excited I am.  Stephen said today that as soon as he gets his call he will be going to the temple and so we are trying to figure out how to make sure we are there when he goes.  So happy for him and so very proud of him.


Melissa said...

UGH!! That doesn't sound fun at all :( But, I'm glad they figured it out and you're feeling better!! :)

Tonya said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds just terrible. I am sorry that you had such a hard time but sooo glad you are okay.

Nancy Face said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry you had to endure that! I'm glad you are better now and that you had such a sweet roommate!

Natalie A said...

Oh no! That sounds just awful. I'm sorry you have to go through that miserable time, but so glad you're better and home now.

So nice that you had such a sweet roommate. That makes a hospital stay so much better.

Exciting to wait for a mission call. We are getting lots of new missionaries here every transfer and even in between.

Stay well and sending hugs.

ShEiLa said...

It certainly sounds like you had a rough time.... Not good, but it is such a blessing to have trained and caring medical professionals.

My ER visit here in Fort Wayne yesterday only lasted a few hours. I should post it on the blog soon.

I hope you are totally back to normal soon.


sweetpea said...

Ugh, that sounds SO not fun! Glad you're home, and okay. {{{hugs}}}

Heffalump said...

I'm glad you are home and okay! I hope it is not an experience you have to repeat.

CB said...

I have missed reading blogs - yours in particular! You are so upbeat and always have a positive view. I had no idea you had this going on. I am glad you are home and feeling good, getting ready for that next marathon!

Betty said...

I have been too consumed with my life lately to catch up on blogs. I feel so bad I missed this! I am so sorry you were miserable and so sick. I wish I could have done something for you!
Welcome home. Continue to heal and feel better. Take it easy on your training! You're amazing!

(Love the story abt your roommate. We have a couple just like that in my ward. Every night before bed, the husband sits down at the piano and they sing, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" to each other. They are an inspiration and my goal. I love them dearly!)

Deena said...

Oh man. I'm sorry that you were sick and in so much pain.

In better news, I LOVE that picture of you. You look beautiful.

Doran & Jody said...

Smoley Hokes!
I hope you bounce right back.

WifeyMommy said...

YUCK, Yvonne!! So glad you're feeling better! I love the top pic of you :)

Sheri said...

Wow!So glad you are feeling better. Sorry you had to go through it. :(

Connie said...

What kind of a friend am I? I had no idea you've been sick! It sounds horrible! Glad you're feeling better! I hope we can get together when you come for Brent's graduation and get caught up! Take care, my friend!